Monday, March 4, 2013

(Kamisama Hajimemashita) Translations of "Kami to Shinshi no Nichijou".

Hello, hope you guys have been well! After a month of hiatus, I am finally back and to make up for it.. I will be translating instead of providing a summary for this episode! Although they're broken down into 3 parts and I'll only be posting the first one for now. Much apologies for the delay! I barely had enough time to finish my weekly assignments and translation work but I finally finished everything (for now).

 I just joined Sky of Snow Translations as a Japanese translator so I'll be even more busy from now on. So far, I have translated half of chapter 92, chapter 85 and also Mikage's special chapter from volume 13.5 official fanbook. I will be re-translating all the chapters starting from chapter 85 to 91 as well. This is to ensure that Kamisama Hajimemashita has quality scans archived for future readers and also veteran fans who would like to re-read the whole series. I am very glad and grateful to be given the opportunity to contribute to the KH fandom. I might make some mistakes but I will do my best! Please support Kamisama Hajimemashita and Suzuki Julietta-sensei until the very end. You can order this Drama CD from Amazon Japan right here.


Now then, please enjoy the first part for this episode of "Kami to Shinshi no Nichijou" (The Daily Life of a God and a Familiar)! I will post up the rest of the translations in the next post~

Disclaimer: These translations are not 100% accurate, but I try my best to stay as close to the original meaning and nuances.





Nanami: Ah~ Sundays are great. I don't have school.. but more importantly, it's great I don't have to wake up at 6 in the morning to catch the bus.. This is such a blissful feeling-- Since I made the protection amulets last week, I can take a rest from my duties as the Land God today as well. It's wonderful to be able to roll on the bed leisurely~
Tomoe:Are you finally awake?
Nanami: It's fine isn't it, sometimes..  I need to rest as well.
Tomoe: Are you not eating as well then?
Nanami: Eh?
Tomoe: Human girls become bulging fat if they don't eat 3 proper meals, don't they?
Nanami: I-I won't become bulging fat! Today is special. There's something called 'Brunch' aside from the normal meals.
Tomoe: Brunch?
Nanami: That's right, it's a bit more stylish than breakfast and it's eaten before lunch.
Tomoe: What do people eat for that?
Nanami: What do people eat... Well... Firstly, there's grape fruit juice with milk. Then, there are fluffy pancakes! Scrambled eggs would be the way to go for eggs, with a lot of butter. The sides must be crispy bacon strips, isn't it? Top off with yoghurt and fresh salad and it will be the best!
Tomoe: What a troublesome girl.
Nanami: What is so troublesome? Didn't you ask about my ideal brunch? I was just answering your question. Ah~ if only they will appear in front of me just like that.
Tomoe: Keep on dreaming.

-Footsteps-

Nanami: What? Tomoe is such a bully. Ah.. I became hungry after talking about that. But I don't want to move at all~ I want roll on the bed leisurely~
Otohiko: Anybody home? Not home?
Nanami: Otohiko!
Otohiko: What? You're home after all. Nobody replied me at the entrance hall, so I came in here. I thought something finally happened... What is with you? You're still in your pajamas at noon? How slovenly. Take a look at me! My hairstyle is proper, even my makeup and nails are perfect. It's no good if you're not like this, isn't it? Nanami, your points at being a girl is zero.
Nanami: I-It's not like I am planning to go out anyway. It's fine to wear pajamas, isn't it?
Otohiko: Pajamas huh.. It's not that pajamas are bad but what is with that tulip pattern?
Nanami: What about it?
Otohiko: Appropriate sense of age, nonexistent.. Or rather, so unfashionable.
Nanami: Unfashionable..?
Otohiko: Do you still consider yourself a girl? You're even living under the same roof with guys. Aren't you not self-conscious enough as a girl?
Nanami: Self-conscious..? Certainly, I might have been too careless lately.. Onikiri-kun and Kotetsu-kun feels like family to me.. Tomoe as well. He might heave heard me singing loudly in the shower and seen me eating breakfast with disheveled bed hair.
Otohiko: My.. You're unbelievable! Your sense as a girl is completely zero. You're really hopeless.
Nanami: Somehow.. I resemble a mother-in-law..
Otohiko: That's right, be grateful. There won't be anyone telling you what's wrong if I didn't mention it to you.
Nanami: Tomoe will say something! To not be lazy or something..
Otohiko: Are you proud of being scolded or something?!
Nanami: ..Not at all
Tomoe: Hey, your meal is ready. Hmm? What? You're here, Otohiko? Since when?
Otohiko: Just a while ago. I was telling her everything about a young lady's manners and etiquette.
Tomoe: Young lady? I don't really understand but here's your meal.
Nanami: Eh? Rice?
Tomoe: Well, just eat already.
Nanami: These are.. what I said I wanted to eat just now. Pancakes and juice..
Tomoe: Be thankful.
Otohiko: It looks delicious--! Look at this pancake and salad. Isn't it appetizing?!
Tomoe: It didn't take that much time.. it was just cutting and tossing.
Otohiko: But these lettuce, roquette and coriander looks really good. Can I try it?

-Tomoe hesitant-

Otohiko: I'll be eating--- No way, it's delicious! What's this?
Tomoe: It's bacon.
Otohiko: I know as much, this combination of slightly salty bacon with pancake is the best! The eggs as well, so buttery--
Nanami: It's really delicious--!
Otohiko: I am going to get fat.. Why am I eating this?! This is so frustrating.. but I'll keep eating. Nanami! You should look carefully at this pair of hands which can cook well.

-Otohiko sighs-

Otohiko: It must be hard, Tomoe-kun. Being troubled by a girl who can't do any housework.. I sympathize.
Tomoe: Housework isn't the only thing that she can't do..
Otohiko: Really.. Your master is hopeless, Tomoe-kun.
Nanami: There's nothing I can say to that..
Tomoe: Just eat already. Unlike you, I am very busy.
Nanami: Y-yes..
Otohiko: The fresh cream on this pancake is really light, isn't it--
Tomoe: You wouldn't want to eat something overly sweet in the morning, would you?
Nanami: Tomoe is really strange (in a good way).. I wonder how you managed to make everything I mentioned in such a short time. Although you don't look as if you can do housework, you're actually perfect at them..
Otohiko: Did you just realize that?
Nanami: Eh? Otohiko, do you know the reason?
Otohiko: Of course.
Nanami: What is it, what is it? Tell me! Why is Tomoe...
Tomoe: Just eat already! The food is going to get cold!
Nanami: ..I'll be eating. Ah, it's really delicious!
Tomoe: What do you mean by 'really'? Of course it's delicious.
Nanami: Tomoe, although you're always irritable but you can actually make such delicious food..
Otohiko: That is because..there was a need to do so. There's no end at all in improving for any kind of thing. He has no choice.
Tomoe: Of course. It's not like I am doing this by choice.
Nanami: By choice..?
Tomoe: If you're done, I'll clear the things away. Hey Otohiko! If you have nothing else to do then go back already.
Otohiko: That's mean..!
Nanami: Don't clean up yet, I am eating!
Tomoe: Hmph.

=====================1st part===================

7 comments:

  1. Its so refreshing to see how things are like at the shrine on a normal day. Tomoe is being an excellent house...wife? as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Look forward to part 3, it's pretty sweet and amusing. Part 2 is up now so please enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the translation! However, I couldn't help but feel that one of the sentences was incorrect at this part:

    Nanami: What is so troublesome? Didn't you ask about my ideal brunch? I was just answering your question. Ah~ if only they will appear in front of me just like that.
    Tomoe: Keep on dreaming.

    While I may not be the best at understanding Japanese, I do have basic knowledge and rather than Nanami saying "if only they will appear in front of me just like that" I'm about 70% sure she dared him to in which he responds with "Just watch", thus accepting her challenge. Again, I'm not the best but I generally check Nciku Japan in cases such as this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome.

      I can see why you'd feel that way if your understanding of Japanese is basic. You probably picked up on the words individually rather than in context from the whole sentence.

      Let me write it and break the sentence down by parts so it's easier to explain why I translated it like that. I will provide the literal translations for clarity.

      Nanami: ああ~ そいうのがポンと目の前に出てくればいいのになー
      Ah~ Soiu no ga 'pon' to me no mae ni dete kureba iinonina

      Soiu no ga そいうのが = Just like that / Just like this
      'pon' ポン = sound effect, onomatopoeia (very widely used in Japanese language)
      me no mae ni 目の前に = in front of one's eyes
      dete kureba 出てくれば = conditional form, if something appears
      iinonina いいのにな = would have been great/good

      Japanese grammar structure is generally the inverse of the English counterpart. Objects or the subject generally comes first, and the verb at the last. The word '~nara ~nina' at the end of the sentence marks the emotional state of the speaker; it means 'it would be so ~ if ~ '.

      It is definitely not the case of daring someone, as this structure is a monologue employed to broadcast one's feelings aloud purposefully so others can hear your emotional state or stance. Hence, there is no indication of challenge involved in this sentence.

      Tomoe: 勝手に夢見てろ
      Katte ni yume mitero

      Katte ni 勝手に = as you wish/as you like/as you want
      yume mitero 夢見てろ = daydream/be delusional. Compound word, impolite instructional form of asking someone to daydream

      I am assuming that you missed out on Tomoe mentioning "yume" in the sentence, which leads to it being "Just watch".

      May I know which part of the sentence or which word implied that Nanami is challenging Tomoe and he replied with "Just watch" to you? Or even better, please provide your version of tranlation for this part so I understand better where you're coming.

      I am not sure what Nciku Japan is but it would be better for you to consult and ask a Japanese instead of referring to written books or materials since language largely depends on the context of a situation.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Are you going to be translating the fan book?

    ReplyDelete